Visit the Shoppe {611 Sutter St., Historic Folsom Ca 95630}

Tuesdays Through Saturdays 11am to 5pm - Sundays 12-6pm







Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at flickr Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at flickr Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at flickr Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Flickr Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at flickr Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at flickr

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Fireplace Mantel





Sharing a picture of our Fireplace Mantel, that my husband built. I sadly don't have a before picture- it was textured dry wall on the sides-and tile surrounding the fireplace -where the brick is now with no mantel on top to set decorations on.
My husband built the top mantel portion first, with (2) 1 inch thick piece's of wood-thick enough to allow for pictures-items to be set, then added crown molding underneath it, then some smaller molding to add more detail between the two-
A long thin flat piece of plywood he cut and used as the front portion-adding a tiny piece of molding trim around the edges.
On either side we found some long pieces of plastic like stuff-with deep groves-and attached it to both sides-then adding a thin piece of molding on either side of that to finish it off-
So basically just layering molding on top of each other-
The portion that was tile- we just sanded lightly and used thin bricks and cement and spread the cement over tile-used tile dividers for spacing between each brick-to then spread more cement all over the bricks- and then wipe down which gave the bricks a more toned down color.


Here are two more closer up pictures of brick-and molding-
Just an idea of how you can add some character to a flat dry walled, Tiled fireplace.


7 comments:

  1. He's super talented. I always said lucky for my husband he can't even hang a nail in the wall because I would have way to many ideas of things I wanted him to build! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!

    Thank you so much for stopping by! OMG, you're near me and your style is right up my alley! I need to go check out your crowns!!

    I am definitely going to become a follower! I have an appt Thursday in Rancho Cordova and if I can manage it, I'll swing by your store!!

    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks fantastic!! I love it! You got a keeper there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Who would have known that that beautiful fireplace was a drywall-tiled fireplace? It turned out so well.
    Such Talent!

    ReplyDelete